Mask Writing (Laser Direct Write System)
We provide mask making services for HKUST internal users and external users. Laser Direct Write System is installed in NFF (CWB) for mask making. Please click here to find out the specification of the systems.
For HKUST internal user who wants to make a mask, please send request through our equipment booking system.
For external user, please click here to find out the procedure.
When users request for a mask made by Laser Direct Write System, there are some issues that must pay attention to.
- We only accept GDSII and CIF format file for laser mask request
- All layout pattern should be in first quadrant (e.g. pattern in positive x-y coordination)
- Each mask in the request should have corresponding data file. And each data file should only have one layer
- To keep the same reference location for all the layers in the layout, each layers should have an anchor (e.g. 1um box) at origin and same top right corner location(e.g. Xmax and Ymax) in the layout
- The grid of the Laser system is 0.2um, any off grid pattern will be round off or up to the grid location
- If your mask will be face down to do the substrate patterning, your substrate pattern will be mirrored. To obtain the correct pattern, your layout pattern should be mirrored
- Path/Wire should not be used as drawing pattern or the pattern length and corner(join) maybe different from your design
- The Minimum Feature Size of the Laser system is 1.0um. Any pattern size less than 1.0um may not come out
- For Dark field writing mask, the drawn pattern area will be transparent on the mask
- For Bright field writing mask, the area without drawn pattern will be transparent on the mask (e.g. within (0,0) and (Xmax, Ymax))
- If you are submitting the mask data in GDS format, please provide the information about the top cellname for each layer of mask
- If you are submitting the mask data in CIF format, you should set the top cell or fabrication cell in L-Edit.
- You should submit your mask request by login NFF (CWB) website account, to confirm all the request information
- Please prepare a hard copy of your mask submission form. You should hand in the signed form when pick up the mask. (e.g. The form should be signed by your Budget Controller)
Mask Writing (E-beam Lithography System)
- Substrates supported by Ebeam system: i, 5"x 5"x 0.09" Mask ii, 4", 3" or 2" wafer iii, square chip samples with sizes: 2cm x 2cm, 1.5cm x 1.5cm or 1cm x 1cm
- Both positive and negative Ebeam photoresist are provided.
- ONLY pattern files with GDSII or CIF format are accepted.
- For GDSII pattern file submitted, provision of the top cell-name is necessary.
- For CIF pattern file submitted, the top cell or fabrication cell should be set in L-Edit program.
- If overlayer writing is required, each layer of the patterns should be saved in separate files correspondingly, while each pattern file can only has ONE layer.
- To ensure consistent total area as well as precise overlapping during overlayer writing, cursors (0.5m box) should be placed at UPPER LEFT and LOWER RIGHT corners of pattern.n
- Global and Chip alignment marks should be fabricated on substrate before EBL if overlayer writing is required. Please contact Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for feature and location of marks.
- Ebeam Lithography processing is charged based on the writing time. For better evaluation of the cost, please send to us (email@example.com) the pattern file for writing time estimation.
E-beam Lithography System is installed in NFF (CWB) for mask making. Please click here to find out the specification of the system and the requirements to use the system.